Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department provides treatments designed to meet the needs of the community. Please see below for a description of the types of conditions treatable by plastic surgery at our hospital.
1.External injuries and burns
- Our plastic surgeons handle treatments of external injuries. These injuries may include cuts, heel ulcers, bite injuries, skin defect wounds, and burns. Most cases of injury are treated on an outpatient basis. However, if the injury is serious, hospitalization may be required.
- Facial fractures (nasal bone, zygomatic, and other types) are often treated by plastic surgeons. Nasal bone fractures are sometimes be treated on an outpatient basis.
2.Refractory skin ulcers and chronic wounds
- Diabetic gangrene, pressure ulcers, and cold burns require lengthy treatment. Depending on their severity, hospitalization may be required to perform skin graft surgery.
3.Benign epidermal and subcutaneous tumors
- Moles, warts, and other small skin lesions, as well as lipomas and other types of subcutaneous and soft tissue tumors fall within the scope of treatments provided by our plastic surgeons. Very small lesions can be excised and the wound cauterized using a laser scalpel. Larger lesions may require local anesthesia, excision, and surgical closure of the wound.
- Malignant tumors include skin cancer and malignant tumors of the soft tissues. Small tumors may be treatable on an outpatient basis by excision under local anesthesia. Removal of larger tumors is done under general anesthesia and requires hospitalization.
- While our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department does not perform aesthetic surgery to treat scars resulting from external injuries or surgery, the treatment of scars causing facial or movement dysfunction falls under National Health Insurance coverage and is therefore provided at Matsuzawa Hospital. We can also treat keloids and hypertrophic scars that cause itching or discomfort using injections.
- Treatment is also provided for the treatment of congenital anomalies such as those affecting the face (lips, ears, nose) and limbs.
7.Other services provided
- Lymph node and skin biopsies are provided (tissue samples are collected and analyzed pathologically in order to diagnose the patient’s condition.)
- We also provide treatment for ingrown nails and other types of nail abnormalities (the stainless-steel wire-based method of treating ingrown nails is currently not covered by National Health Insurance and therefore is unavailable at Matsuzawa Hospital).
- With the help of registered specialist nurses, our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department provides treatments for conditions due to diabetes and neurological disorders affecting the extremities (legs and toes), as well as calluses, nail deformities that cannot be treated with the use of nail clippers, and nail thickening.
Matsuzawa Hospital works closely with Tokyo Metropolitan Tama Medical Center and Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo Hospital to ensure that patients with severe conditions receive appropriate treatment,.